Monday, July 9, 2007

The Day After Tomorrow

I can't believe I leave the day after tomorrow. As I anticipate the journey that is about to come, I reflect on the journey that it took to get me here.
It all started about four months ago. I walked into Model United Nations and my friend Sachi was looking at a flyer. I saw the words "Ghana" and "Nigeria" at the top and wanted to know what she was looking at. I asked her about it and she said it was a one month trip to Africa over the summer. That was all I had to hear and I was hooked. I remember my heart started beating fast as I realized that my opportunity had finally arisen. I wrote down the website and the rest of the day could think of nothing else. I came home and after looking at the website was convinced that I was going to go to Africa. I told my mom and instead of saying "We don't have that kind of money" she said "You can do it Annie, I know you can".
Well it took bake sales, shirt sales, button sales, letters, meetings, speeches, posters, hundreds of hours of babysitting, scholarships and the work of the entire community, but I raised all the money for my trip and even enough to buy a good camera.
So... Here I am! About to leave the country to go to the place my heart has called me to for at least 5 years- Africa. I feel so blessed to be living my dream. I can't think of any other adventure I would rather be starting!
Wish me the best, pray for me and know that I couldn't be doing any of this without the support of everyone who helped me get here.

No comments: